Friday, March 30, 2012

Easter Egg Popsicles


IMG_2719 

Today I had my little group meet up with some fellow mommies, and I think it was a success. We had some snacks, played outside (it was quite hot at 83° outside here today), hunted for Easter eggs, and played in the sand box, but I think the most successful part was the frozen Easter egg popsicles that I made for the kids. I just used plain fruit juice, but when frozen in an egg, everything taste better and sweeter. The best part is that they are relatively simple to do, you just need a few items you may already have on hand.

To make the popsicle's you will need:

Fruit juice
Plastic Easter eggs
Plastic sucker sticks
A large nail and thumbtack
Small funnel or piping tip to fill the eggs

First tip the eggs upside down and poke three holes in the bottom. Two of these holes are for letting the air escape when filling the egg, the third one should be in the center of the bottom. Make this center hole bigger using the large nail. You will need it to be as big as the popsicle/sucker stick. Once that is done, and you have your egg carton full of "hole-y" eggs, use the piping tip to fill each one until almost full, and then poke in the popsicle stick and place in the freezer until firm (I froze mine overnight).
IMG_2726
IMG_2708

When you are ready to eat them, let them sit out for a second, or hold the top part in your hands to warm it up and open the egg on up. The kids enjoyed them right out of the plastic egg, and when they got down to the bottom part, the eggs easily slipped on out of the "shell" so they could finish the rest.


49 comments on "Easter Egg Popsicles"

Anonymous said...

What a great idea, these are too cute:)

christensenshelley on April 4, 2012 at 4:59 PM said...

I love it I think we will make these tomorrow

Linda S. said...

So Smart!

Anonymous said...

Where do you get the sticks?

Kara on April 4, 2012 at 6:52 PM said...

I got mine in the baking section at Hobby Lobby, but any craft store or even the baking section of your local grocery should have some lollipop or cake pop sticks. That is what I used because they were skinny.

Sonya said...

I love the idea. Unfortunately for me I tried to make them tonight for our preschool egg hunt tomorrow and they just didn't work. The eggs I had bought had tiny holes in both ends and many of them didn't seem to make a tight seal around the edges when closed so they leaked when filled. I am definately going to experiment and buy some different brands of eggs to find the right ones because I really like the idea.

Anonymous said...

You could put clear tape around the seal area, and them remove it before serving.

Kara on April 4, 2012 at 9:42 PM said...

Sorry they didn't work out for you. You will have to make sure to get eggs without holes and just make your own on the bottom only. I didn't have any issues with the eggs leaking, so I think you just have to find the right eggs. The ones I used were the cheap $1 for a dozen ones at the grocery store ( HEB, for those in Texas) that were attached by that little piece of plastic and had no holes.

Isabel @alphamom on April 5, 2012 at 10:00 AM said...

genius!

Jasmine said...

I love this!It's a must try for this weekend

Kristina Abernathy on April 6, 2012 at 10:47 AM said...

very cute!

Kathy on April 6, 2012 at 12:41 PM said...

Wow! These look wonderful. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Going to make these for Easter for my 6 little girls & their Cousins....such a great idea!!! Love it!!

Amanda on April 6, 2012 at 7:40 PM said...

I bought those same eggs at HEB! Thank you for the fantastic idea! Cool! :-)

TheJerseyShoreMom on April 6, 2012 at 9:03 PM said...

So love this idea!!!

graham's mom on April 6, 2012 at 9:52 PM said...

kids will love it! You are so awesome!

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the top whole would be enough to create the air whole. This would make the perfect way for it to catch all the drippings while they eat them.

kat on April 8, 2012 at 8:56 AM said...

made these yesterday with my kids! posted your link on my blog! hope that was okay! Happy Easter!

Jenn Lifford on April 10, 2012 at 1:25 PM said...

What a fabulous idea! Pinned for next year!
Jenn :)

Anonymous said...

Very cute! How full did you fill them? Thanks!

Kara on April 10, 2012 at 8:45 PM said...

I used a frosting piping tip as a funnel and just slowly poured the juice in the closed egg until it was close to the top.

Reylan | Employment Posters on April 10, 2012 at 9:44 PM said...

You use a funnel to fill those eggs, right?

Kara on April 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM said...

Yes, I actually used a small piping tip as a funnel as shown in the photo. But you could use a regular funnel if you have one small enough.

Anonymous said...

How much space did you leave at the top? Thanks.

Kara on April 11, 2012 at 9:52 AM said...

Just enough so that when you insert the stick it doesn't overflow. Not sure how else to describe it. Maybe a pea size space?

Larissa on April 11, 2012 at 4:35 PM said...

Brilliant!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses on April 11, 2012 at 8:47 PM said...

Those are so great! I wish I had seen this before Easter but I'm pinning for next year.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Sonia is from canada. We may have different regulations up here. Small items like that have to have an air hole in them for suffication/choking purposes. Same thing with pen and marker lids. They are a choking hazzard, and have to have a hole from the manufacturer in them. All the eggs I looked at have a hole in either end as well. You could use a hot glue gun to close up the holes though.

carole on May 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM said...

these are great,, I use a children s medicine syringe to fil them its a lot easier than a funnel or piping bag tip,,well, it was for me anyways...lol
perfect idea, fantastic for the kids

carole on May 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM said...

these are great,, I use a children s medicine syringe to fil them its a lot easier than a funnel or piping bag tip,,well, it was for me anyways...lol
perfect idea, fantastic for the kids

Anonymous said...

What about all the chemicals in those cheap plastic eggs (like BPA?). Cute idea, but I personally would not want to do this.

Kara on June 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM said...

About the BPA, while it is real and a threat, if you research it, BPA leaches from plastic when it is heated up. The higher the temperatures, the more BPA that is released from the plastic. So, the contrary is also true. The colder the plastic gets the tighter the BPA molecules are held within plastic and are therfore not leached into the frozen fruit juice. Just a little info for those concerned. (coming from a former Chemical Engineer)

Anonymous said...

Has anyone tried to use the Jello Jiggler Egg molds? You would have to remove the pops from them to serve but they have a hole already and sit flat.

mamas*little*treasures on June 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM said...

Hi! Just came across this great idea and would like to share it with our readers, followers, and members at Ruby for Women. We have a monthly online women's magazine, Ruby for Women, and I would like to include a link and image so that our readers can visit you to find the recipe. Take a peek when you have a minute at www.rubyforwomen.ning.com The July issue will be posted on Monday, July 2, 2012. I will be sure to give credit for the idea and the image directly back here to you! Thanks, Nina @ Ruby for Women

Anonymous said...

This is stirring up a storm on Pinterest!

Alma Gonzalez on February 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM said...

What do you use to make the holes?

Alma Gonzalez on February 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM said...

What do you use to make the holes?

Crystal@SewCreativeBlog on March 13, 2013 at 1:12 PM said...

I LOVE this Easter project! Who wouldn't love to come home from their Easter Egg Hunt to popsicle Easter Eggs?

I featured it on my blog in my Weekly Inspiration: Easter Projects post. I'd love for you to stop by and take a look if you have a moment.

http://www.sewcreativeblog.com/weekly-inspiration-easter-projects/

Best Wishes,

Crystal

Anonymous said...

LOVE THIS FOR MY GREAT GRANDS !!!!!

Patti said...

what's the thumbtack for?

The Tablescaper on March 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM said...

Easy and adorable!

I'd love to have you link this to Seasonal Sundays. The link goes up at 7:00 on Saturday evening.

- The Tablescaper

Leslie on March 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM said...

As I was painstakingly filling the eggs with the little funnel by 13 year old daughter said, "Hey, mom why don't you fill the bottom first and then close the egg and funnel the top."

I must say she is brilliant! LOL

Anonymous said...

Alma Gonzalez & Patti: I used a thumbtack to poke a hole (2-3 times in roughly the same spot) in the plastic egg then used the lollipop stick and shoved it through those thumbtack holes.

Anonymous said...

I found that using a candy "melting/decorating" squeeze bottle, like Wilton's, made the filling part super easy and mess free. Way easier than using a funnel! You can find those squeeze bottles at Michael's or Walmart.

SpunkyDIY on March 27, 2013 at 12:28 PM said...

disappointed :-( I already had a ton of eggs so I bought some juice to try this and all of my eggs had holes in both ends :-( maybe I'll try to pickup some from dollar store or just wait for next easter....thanks for posting though - very creative!

Nadz on March 29, 2013 at 3:18 PM said...

I just tried this, hope it works out! My eggs had holes in them (I'm in Canada), but I just taped them with clear tape that I'll take off when I'm ready to serve. My son is so excited to try these, thanks for the great idea!!

Michele Sutherland on March 30, 2013 at 12:19 PM said...

I have never seen these before, and I absolutely love the idea! I can't wait to try this with my kids!

Andrew on April 14, 2013 at 10:11 AM said...

Too small for adults LOL

Mary Elizabeth McNair on May 27, 2013 at 9:49 PM said...

I absolutely love this idea!!

Post a Comment

About Me

I am a handbag and accessory designer and mom to a wonderful baby girl.

Followers

 

Ramblings of a Handbag Designer Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez