Friday, August 28, 2015

Cook It - Pasta Bolognese

I realize that there are literally thousands of recipes out there for pasta bolognese, but this is my veggie loaded version that really hits the spot when I am looking for a delicious pasta dinner. Why not give it a try this weekend and tell me what you think. Just look how good that looks! And if you want to go veggie, just omit the meat and it is still so good.

  • 1/2 onion diced
  • 1 carrot diced
  • 1 zucchini finely grated
  • 2 cloves of garlic minced
  • 2 large handfuls of spinach chopped
  • 6 basil leaves and 2 TBSP parsley chopped fine
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 package fresh pappardelle or fettuccine pasta cooked al dente
  • 1 jar your favorite tomato sauce (I tend to prefer Prego if I don't make my own)
 Saute your onion and carrot in a drizzle of Olive Oil over medium heat until the onion starts to become translucent. Then add the garlic, zucchini, spinach, and herbs and continue to saute for an additional 3-4 minutes. Now add the ground beef and use a spatula to break up the beef as it cooks. At this time you can add salt and pepper to taste. When the pink is gone, add your pasta sauce and heat through. Finally add your cooked pasta and toss to coat.

Serve with shaved parmesan cheese and a spring of basil for garnish.

I hope you enjoy my version of this classic Italian dish. I know I sure do!

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Craft It - Neon Rimmed Champagne Glasses

A few months ago I posted a tutorial for making your own gold rimmed high ball glasses (you can see it here). I love my DIY gold rimmed glasses so much and they have held up quite well to use. So, the other day as I was sipping out of said glasses, I thought "hey, why did I go with just gold, when there are so many other bright colors to choose from?". So I whipped out my champagne flutes that I got at Ikea and decided to give them a neon rimmed makeover. The process is the same as the gold rimmed glasses, but the outcome is so much more bright and fun. These will be perfect at my next party!

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Home Tour Tuesday - The Great Outdoors

For this weeks home tour we are heading out to the backyard for a little show and tell. Now this probably isn't the best time to be showing you the backyard (being the end of a hot summer in Texas), but it will be a good way to document where our backyard is currently and where it goes from here.

Our house sits on close to a half an acre, so we have quite a large backyard that literally had one tree, a playscape, and a shed when we moved in. Yes you heard that right, ONE tree in the entire back yard. Not to mention that the yard was pretty much a weed field. So there was quite a bit of work to be done out there.

At the beginning of this year we were able to convert a small portion of our yard into a semi enclosed courtyard. I figured that the best way to landscape our yard was to break it into small sections and tackle one thing at a time. For the courtyard we had a horizontal wood fence built to section off the courtyard from the rest of the backyard. We then filled the area in with crushed granite and some seating. This summer this area has held a makeshift pallet table that I put together, but this fall I hope to put the fire pit there in the center of the seats. String lights were added to give that great outdoor patio bar vibe.

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Craft It - Monogrammed Jewelry Dishes

If you are on Pinterest or at all crafty, you have probably seen those sharpie painted mugs that are EVERYWHERE! Well, I wanted to try my hand at a derivation of those using the same technique but with something other than a coffee mug. And what I ended up making were these super cute monogrammed jewelry dishes.

I purchased the plain white dipping bowls from World Market (they have some super inexpensive white serving dishes, plates, and bowls). These little guys were only $1.49 each!